Enjoy this baked potato risotto recipe by Executive Chef Jonathan Keane, the dish that makes use of wild garlic that is in season and is perfect for Vegetarians.
If you enjoyed this recipe, share your photos with us by tagging @TheLodgeAshford on Instagram.
The below recipe serves four people.
For the baked potato stock
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped skin on
- 1 stick of celery, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, cut in half
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 white peppercorns
- 2 litres of cold water
- Bring all these ingredients to the boil, skim, reduce by half.
- 175g jacket potato skins
- Roast the skins without oil at 200 degrees for 30 mins or until golden brown.
- Add to the reduced veg stock, boil once, remove from heat and infuse for 30 mins.
- Pass through fine muslin and chinois.
- Refrigerate until needed.
For the potato ‘rice’
- 4 large Maris Piper potatoes
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 100g butter
- Dice potatoes to the same size as a grain of rice.
- Blanch in salted water and chill immediately.
- Gently cook the potato and thyme for 1 minute in the butter.
- Allow to chill.
For the wild garlic pesto:
- 100g wild garlic
- 100g flat parsley
- 100g chives
- 1 garlic clove
- 20g pine nut toasted
- 30g parmesan
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 200ml olive oil
Blitz all ingredients together.
For the risotto
- Melt 20g butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add 2 finely diced shallots and cook without colour.
- Add the potato stock and reduce by ¼.
- Add potato, butter, thyme mixture.
- Simmer until you have a risotto consistency.
- Add 50g grated parmesan and 50g garden peas.
- Correct seasoning and cook 2 minutes.
- Ladle risotto in the centre of four big bowls.
- Spoon on the pesto, garnish with wild garlic leaves and parmesan shavings.